ux spotlight: take a hike

To solve a problem I conducted interviews and several rounds of usability testing in order to develop high fidelity prototypes.

In a semester long User Interaction Design project I single-handedly researched a problem, interviewed potential users, and created several versions of prototypes. Scroll through to see my step by step process or click here to view or download my full report.


Researched a Problem

Problem: Americans are connecting less with National and State Parks. I read several scholarly articles regarding Americans' relationship with nature and National Parks. I also examined 3 similar and related apps and websites.

take a hike logo

Interviewed Users to Create Personas, Scenarios, & Storyboards

I conducted in-depth interviews with 5 potential users from 2 target demographics. Using these interviews I developed 2 personas, a scenario, and 2 storyboards.

personas preview

Developed Design Requirements & Solutions

After synthesizing my interview materials, brainstorming, and completing NUF (new, useful, feasible) testing, I developed a list of 10 design requirements for inclusion in my app prototypes.

design requirements preview

Created Paper Prototypes

Based on my data and design requirements I created a paper prototype for 2 specific tasks. This prototype was created using paper and pen, this is an easy and inexpensive way to test ideas. I then tested the prototype with 2 potential users and recorded their responses.

paper prototype preview

Created Low-Fidelity Prototypes

Based on my data, design requirements, and feedback from my paper prototype testing, I created a low-fidelity prototype for the same 2 tasks. This prototype was created using Axure RP. I then tested the prototype with 3 potential users and recorded their responses.

low-fidelity prototype preview

Created High-Fidelity Prototypes

Based on my data, design requirements, and feedback from my low-fidelity prototype testing, I created a high-fidelity prototype for the same 2 tasks. This prototype was also created using Axure RP. I then tested the prototype with 3 potential users and recorded their responses. This final round of testing was important in the creation of my final prototype, and I also made note of potential improvements to my prototype moving forward, because it is responsible to recognize that no body of work is ever truly finished.

high-fidelity prototype preview

Learn More

Click here to view or download my full 28 page report. Click here to watch the video walk-through of my final high-fidelity app protoype.